Sunday, June 27, 2021

Day 20

Last night I was tied up on a long, sandy beach. I noiced around dark that the river seemed to be dropping leaving more of the boat "beached". I decided to stick a broken branch in the sand at the river's edge. That's when it became obivious that the river was in fact dropping. Yesterday morning as I pulled in my anchor it somehow became unsnapped, which meant I didn't have an anchor and the option of anchoring farther away from shore. So I decided to stay awake all night and keep checking the river level. Also, everytime a towboat passes by during the night it creates wakes that can turn my boat sideways and push it up against the shore. I usually prevent this by anchoring from the side, but without an anchor I had another reason to stay up all night. As it turned out I did need to repeatedly get out of the boat and keep moving it back. By morning the boat was approximately twenty feet from where I originally tied up.
My first picture of the day was the Zimmer Power Station in Moscow, Ohio.
I was going to stop at New Richmond, but the Showboat Majestic that used to be moored on the Cincinnati riverfront is blocking the New Richmond visitor dock and steps. The Majestic is looking pretty poorly compared to its glory days.
This morning was early Sunday and I passed by several groups of boats still tied together from yesterday's partying.
This is the I-275 bridge out by Coney Island.
I knew I needed just a little more gas to get to my final destination and I've stopped at this place, the Aquaramp, before. As I approached the dock three people came out to hold my boat and help me get gas, ice and snacks.
A group of women got off this CinnyCycleBoat just as I passed by. I've seen the mobile bars where everyone sits around a bar and pedals as it moves through town. This one was the same concept, except it was on water.
Here are a couple of paddlewheelers I passed on the Kentucky side of the river. One was loading up Cincinnati Reds fans to go over to the ballpark.
Here are a couple pictures of the Cincinnati Skyline and Bengals stadium.
As I approached Saylor Park, I saw this floating house and the Official Fireworks Barge of the Cincinnati Reds. I didn't even know they had an official barge.
This is the tomb of William Henry Harrison as seen from the river. In the days of the paddlewheelers they would blow their whistles in passing as a tribute to the fallen President of the United States. Everything went pretty well today up until I was about a mile from my final destination. Just as I passed Lawrenceburg, Indiana I saw rain approaching that was so heavy I couldn't see the river or shoreline. I headed straight for the Indiana shore, attached a line to the front of the boat and held it against the shore till the rain passed. I got soaked as heavy rain and lightning was happening all around me. After the storm I stopped at the confluence of Tanners Creek and the Ohiu River so I could take down my mast. Then I continue up the creek to the lanch ramp where Denise was there to meet me. Today was Day 20. I covered 54 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment