Friday, June 25, 2021

Day 18

First thing this morning I crossed the river and headed downstream to Huntington, West Virginia's riverfront park. The restrooms were open and clean. but like most cities and larger towns they, don't have much in the way of things that would help traveling boaters. Their gas stations and convenience stores are blocks away. I walked through the opening in the flood wall, but then turned around and returned to the boat.
After leaving Huntington I passed through an area with a lot of towboats and barges. This is called a fleeting area and it's where the towboats and barges are stored or lined up for shipping.
Next stop was Ironton to get supplied. Many of the smaller cities like to share their history. Ironton does with with huge murals on their floodwalls. The mural in the photo says Ironton has the oldest Memorial Day Parage in the country, begining in 1868.
I passed under this brige in Sciotoville. Its the largest riveted truss bridge in the United States. Although built in 1916, it's still consudered an enineering marvel.
I was supposed to get gas in Portsmouth, but the gas station that use to be near the river is no longer there.
Mark Redden went all through school with my son and was in Cub Scouts with him as well. Mark now lives in the area I was passing through today. He saw on Facebook that I was on this adventure and sent me a message that if I needed help I could give him a call. He also came down to the river as I was passing by and took these pictures.
My last stop of the day was Vanceburg, Kentucky to get gas. Two people volunteered to give me a ride to the gas station, but Dean was the first. As it turnd out, Dean is the mayor of this friendly little town.

No comments:

Post a Comment