Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Day 16

After working my boat out of last night's campsite, I traveled 12 miles downstream to Parkersburg, West VIrginia. Denise and I are familiar with Parkersburg because we've attened their Paddlefest event twice.
At Parkersburg I was able to walk a block and a half to Sheetz for ice, gas and lunch to go.
As I was getting back to my boat I saw a paddlewheeler headed for where I was tied up. I hurried up and got out if the way. The paddlewheeler takes people to Blennerhassett, Island which is both a park and has historic buildings on it to tour.
The area of the river I was in today is remote, but beautiful!
I saw a lot of debris in the river today, but upon arriving at Belleville Lock and Dam I was afraid I wouldn't make it into the chamber. I had to rock the boat back-and-forth to get it through.
My next stop was Ravenswood, west Viginia. They have a nice little park with a courtesy dock, but as you can see someone's boat recently caught fire there. At the park is a restored lock house and a mobile barbeque operation called "Sisters". I highly recommend the pulled pork sandwich.
The three guys fishing in this photo where in the only non-commercial boat I've seen the past three days. Due to heavy rains the river is especially muddy and running fast.
Tonight I'm camped along a city park in Mason, West Viginia. It's right across from Pomeroy, Ohio. Pomeroy is built between the river and a solid rock "mountain". They have two one way streets running through town with cross streets connecting them each block. Pomeroy has the dustiction of being the only incorporated community in the coutry to have no four way intersections.....the town isn't wide enough to have any!

No comments:

Post a Comment