Saturday, July 25, 2020

DAY 7


Today was one of those days when housekeeping on a self supporting adventure trip take precedence over distance travelled. It was also a day when mother nature took precedence over my desire to get an early start.


The first photo above is of barges and a towboat passing in front of my boat while it was still tied up from overnight. As you can see, the towboat is barely visible. I wanted to get started by 7:00 in the morning, but waited until 9:00.. Then I stopped again because the fog was too thick where I was headed,

There must have been a bass tournament that started today because a series of bass boats were passing me every three to five minutes.

I took this photo of one of the doors as I locked down at Cannelton Lock and Dam.

A view of me as I head down river toward Tell City.





At Tell City I tied up on the soft shore, then walked up the boat launch ramp, through the opening in the flood wall, and on to the Pour House to eat lunch. After lunch I returned to the boat and got my accumulated dirty laundry. I walked about a half mile, stopping at a CVS. As I continued on to the laundromat a nice lady by the name of Britany picked me up and dropped me off right at the Super Suds. Thanks Britany! I stopped at this laundromat years ago during my Ohio River kayak trip. On my return trip to the boat I had to carry all of my laundry, my cooler that I’d just refilled with ice, a gallon of water and anything valuable I didn’t want to leave in the boat. Where was Britany when I really needed her?



I stopped at Grandview to fill my one empty gas can. Grandview got its name because of its grand view of the river..

Due to my late start from the fog and my extended time in Tell City, I only covered 31 miles today.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Bob, thank you for writing your excellent article about Dennis in the Post Gazette last week. I'm thoroughly enjoying following Dennis' daily progress down the Ohio.

      Delete
  2. Hello! It is Brittany! I wish I could have helped you back to your boat! Glad you made it back safely! Good luck with the rest of your trip! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, I am thoroughly enjoying your daily posts. This looks like an incredible adventure, one that I wish I was on. Thank you for sharing it on blogspot for all of us to follow.

    If you have time, may I ask you a few questions, like: Can you show us a picture of your cabin? What about a picture of your tent/sleeping area? Do you replenish ice in your cooler daily? And on a somewhat private level, how do you handle #2s? :-). Is there a fee to lock through all these locks? In one of your photographs I thought I saw a handheld radio. Is that a marine radio? Can you take a picture of where your oar locks are? Do you wear earplugs during the day (being close to the engine) or is the noise not that loud? My guess is that you have the engine set to power straight ahead and you steer using the tiller, correct? When you sit in the back with your hand on the tiller, can you see over your cabin to see what's ahead, or do you constantly have to stand up to see what's ahead? Forgive all the questions but I am truly fascinated by your journey. Looking forward to reading each daily blog. Keep them coming and love the photographs. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Andrew.....you have a lot of questions! One day I’m going to share pictures of the cabin and modifications I’ve made to the boat for this trip. Originally I was going to take one of those coolers that can keep ice for a week, but it was much too heavy, too large and too difficult to open. So I’m using a soft sided Yeti cooler which can keep things cold for about 36 hours. I’m getting ice once a day, but can live without it. On my kayak trip I didn’t have a cooler at all. I do have a handheld marine radio. I call the lock master when I’m about a half mile away and request permission to lock down. Going through the locks is free......they’re federal installations that we all pay for. I’ve never had a problem locking through with either my sailboat or my kayak and the lock people have always been respectful. I don’t wear earplugs.....I’m a middle school teacher so I’m either already used to the noise or have lost so much of my hearing that the motor noise isn’t a problem. Actually I can hear my AM radio above the sound of the engine. I do all steering with the tiller. I can see over the cabin enough to see where I’m going. I haven’t stood up hardly at all. It’s not 100%, but I’ve learned to read the river well enough to recognize submerged debris and shallow water. I also have charts indicating shallows and areas to avoid. Going to the bathroom hasn’t been a problem because of the riverfront parks, stores and restaurants I’ve visited along the river. I normally do my adventure trips earlier in the summer. My biggest problem with this trip is the heat......90 degrees everyday with heat indexes in the triple digits.

      Delete
    2. Dennis, thank you for answering all my questions. Very interesting. Godspeed on your journey and thank you again for posting your daily blog. Take care.

      Delete
  4. And my apologies Dennis for calling you Bob. I was thinking of the author of the article about you.

    ReplyDelete