Tuesday, July 21, 2020

DAY 4


This was my view as I left the Kentucky River and made my way down the Ohio. It was a peaceful night and I only detected one time when the waves from a passing towboat/barges caused some slow rolling wakes to make their way down the river to my boat. I was back on the Ohio River  by 7:30.

As I approached Madison, Indiana I got a good view of the high bluff leading to the city.

My first stop of the day was at the little community of Milton, Kentucky. Their dock is about five feet higher than my boat, so I just “beach” the boat head on. The local stores are at the top of the ramp. In this picture I counted seven signs about tobacco products for sale. 





Next stop was right across the river from Milton....Madison, Indiana. Madison is considered one of the top ten river towns in the country. Known for their annual Madison Regatta (unlimited hydroplane race) the event was canceled this year because of covid. Their boat, Miss Madison, is the only community owned unlimited class hydroplane in the world. There is also a movie called Miss Madison, filmed in this community. While I was at the riverfront a friendly gentleman by the name of Burke stopped to chat for a while. He retired from the maintenance department in Madison and actually worked on the dock I was tied up to.


People tell me you can’t sale on the Ohio River. Don’t tell these folks. I’ve seen about twenty-five large sailboats on the river so far and in the second photo I counted thirteen sailboats going back and forth.

The river got a little choppy at times today. If I’d been in my kayak, I would have been soaked. In the sailboat I just get a little spray from time to time.

I didn’t make many stops today, opting instead to stay on the river and finish before dark. This is the Lewis and Clark cable-stayed style of bridge I passed under right before arriving at my destination.


 I purchased my boat a couple of months ago from Stephen, who owns the Creekside Landing Marina on Harrods Creek. He said if I passed by on my Ohio River trip to stop by and he would give me a place to tie up for the night. He came down to the dock and visited for about an hour and gave me a place to shower, get ice, and other essentials for travel on the river. He even gave me this cap. Thanks Stephen!

The blue dot is my location on Harrods Creek. I covered 50 miles on the Ohio River today.


4 comments:

  1. The Folkes say be careful and have fun! Looks like a blast! The boys are excited to keep reading your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your article in the Columbus Dispatch today. Thanks for sharing your adventures. Lots of beautiful experiences right here in the Midwest. Could you post a map of the whole trip from point to point?

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://liber.post-gazette.com/image/2020/07/14/1000x/Ohio-River-sailing-route-800-px

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog reminds me of a favorite YouTube channel: Keep Turning Left. Fellow (a videographer by trade) takes a small boat (larger than the WP15, but what isn't?) out of his home estuary in England and, well, just keeps turning left and sailing. Lovely visuals - you might enjoy.

    ReplyDelete