Tuesday, July 14, 2020

DAY 1

Hello and welcome to the first entry in my point2point blog! As is usually the case in my various adventures, the first day is different than all the rest. The day actually began yesterday ( Monday) morning when I drove to Pittsburgh with my sailboat, the Wandering Wisp, and launched it at a public boat ramp at the South Shore Park. A young lady asked if she could take pictures as I launched the boat. I told her was was taking it to the South Shore Marina to dock overnight, then come back the next day to begin sailing from the beginning of the Ohio River and continue traveling until reaching the end. She told me she was from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and asked if they could do a story about my trip. I agreed, docked the boat, then drove back home to return the trailer. The following day (today) I got up at 2:30 in the morning and drove back to Pittsburgh in a rental car. The reporter, Bob Batz, who was going to write the story picked me up when I returned the rental car and drove me to the marina. As I prepared my boat Bob interviewed me, then we were joined by the photographer, Emily. The story they are putting together should be available tomorrow and I will provide a link once it becomes available. I finally got started on the Monongahela River a little before 11:00. 

My first stop was to go down the Monongahela to where it meets the Allegheny River. This confluence is the beginning of the Ohio River. Its location is marked by a beautiful fountain at Point Park. I moved in close and touched the point to mark the official beginning of my trip.


Before heading down the Ohio, I went up the Allegheny a little bit to get a river view of the Pittsburgh Pirates ballpark.

As I turned around I saw this BLM mural.

 My first photo on the Ohio River was of Heinz Field, the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I couldn’t pass up a photo of Pittsburgh’s operating incline. You can see one car coming down as another goes up.

During my interview this morning, one of the questions was “How will you determine your trip was a success”. I guess one answer is that I don’t end up like this guy!

I finished up my travels for today by going up Little Beaver Creek at Glasgow Pennsylvania. There is a little park there with kayakers passing me and 4 little kids were jumping off a three story high concrete structure into the river up until nearly 10:00. My total mileage for today was 40 miles. 


19 comments:

  1. Thanks Dennis for sharing. Great photos!!
    God speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to following your adventure---and then sharing it somehow with my 5th grade STEM/Social Studies classes in some form of school this Fall. Safe travels. #TeachersRule
    ps The stadium photo captions are actually switched..no biggie (teacher to teacher ya know).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to hearing and seeing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Appreciate the blog, Dennis. Saw the write up this morning in the PG and had to immediately find you. Look forward to the adventure through your eyes. Question on avionics - any if so, what? Fair winds and following seas .......Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and I envy You. Have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story is an inspiration in these troubled times. We have a place on the Ohio river 3 miles south of Vevay Indiana. Hoping to watch you pass by. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Down at mile 64 on the Ohio ... gorgeous day, but not a hint of a breeze. The current will help you, but.... there is gasoline at the Weirton Marina and a place to tie off for the night if the timing is right. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great!!!thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your postings. Safe travels! Checking daily!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a safe journey! I’ll try to catch up with you around Aurora, IN. Got a camper and a boat dock there if you want to tie up for the night. dlcrvn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow i didnt know you did rive sailing good job also this is archer from school have a great trip and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  13. Read article in PG, sounds like a great trip!
    Will be following your blog, be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dennis - safe travels and smooth sailing. -Matt Pavlosky, Port of Pittsburgh Commission.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Read the story in the PG. It was posted to the Liveaboard facebook group visible to about 34,000 members.

    I was prepping my boat to do something similar but ended up getting a job offer on the day you launched. I'll live vicariously through your blog instead.

    Thank for spreading hope in these strange times.
    Minneapolis, MN

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dennis, Good luck on your journey. I read the article in today's PG and had to go to your blog. I'll be reading every day. Enjoy your trip and Gods speed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dennis, will you be doing any fishing during yor trip?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fun to follow. Your story ran in the Columbus paper this morning and I knew Bob Batz when he was a little kid running around the newsroom in Dayton with his Mom and Dad. All good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your story just ran today in the Fort Myers, FL News-Press. I immediately login to your blog and look forward to reading about your journey. I am a former Ohioan, with daughters living in Cincinnati and Louisville. Have a safe trip and may only smooth waters lie ahead.

    ReplyDelete